illumin8® Setup Guide
We plan to support every mainstream platform in the future. Potential business partners should contact us to discuss a relationship that may influence the sequencing of platform support work.
Sign-up on the illumin8 download page to get notified of releases, including newly supported platforms.
The history of the Apple ecosystem is one of platform stability that is unique amongst computing platforms. A primary reason is the lack of platform fragmentation [lots of versions] that other platforms suffer from.
As a software developer on the Mac OS X platform, we are forced to update our developer environment by Apple to the latest operating system version. As the first released version of illumin8 was built using the latest dev environment, it is impacted by changes that Apple has made to their OS that render it incompatible with older versions of Mac OS X 10.12.
Going forward, we will make past releases available and the user will have the choice to maintain a configuration that it runs on. We will release patches when possible. The primary factor will be the compliance and compatibility requirements that are established by Apple.
illumin8 allows you to apply live and customizable transformations to your webcam feed and most image and video files. From the moment the app starts, simply select the media type you want to start with to select your file or camera of choice, or go right to the sample image included with the application to start applying effects.
As of this writing there are two different effect sets that can be accessed via the amber appearance button and blue scene button. Selecting either will present the user with an initial batch of effects that they can preview by playing with via selecting the thumbnails and adjusting the provided modifier sliders (note: not all sliders are hooked up for all effects yet, see FAQ for more). MindAptiv plans to continue to iterate and expand on the initial set of transforms offered in this version of illumin8 to include more varied and unique effects over time, as well as the ability to apply more than two effects simultaneously.
The appearance set of transforms applies a transformation directly to the incoming media, while the scene set applies a final effect to the entire creation, including whatever appearance effects are currently being applied to the user’s chosen media. Users can save screenshots of their creation and slider settings via the export button in the player controls area of the screen and crop out their creations for later use or sharing. The ability to save just the transformed media as an image or as a video clip is forthcoming and in our roadmap for future updates. The effects of transformations can be cleared for each category using the “hide-visibility” eye icons below each effect’s thumbnail from the main transform screen. Like a certain effect, but want to change the source? It’s as easy as selecting one of the media source icons at the top of the page to open a new image, video or camera.
illumin8 is not currently sandboxed to the Apple spec, so some additional steps are required to run the product for the first time. Future releases will have this requirement patched out as we prepare illumin8 for storefronts like the App Store.
- Upon downloading illumin8, double click the .tgz archive to extract the illumin8.app build.
- When first running illumin8, you will be presented with a message saying that the app is from an unidentified developer, this is due to tightening sandbox restrictions on the macOS platform during recent updates. Click “Ok”, and open System Preferences for your computer.
- Navigate to Security and Privacy and in the General tab there will be a message at the bottom stating “illumin8 was blocked from opening because it is not from an identified developer.”. Please select “Open Anyway”. This will whitelist illumin8, allowing the copy you downloaded and future updated versions to run on your machine from now on.
- When illumin8 opens you will be greeted with a message asking if you want to open it, select the “Open” option. On the first run, the app will also ask for permission to use the mic and webcam, granting these permissions allows the app to transform your live webcam feed(s) on the fly. If no camera/mic is detected these pop-ups will not appear until the build is launched with said devices connected.
- After addressing the dialog boxes you will be greeted with the illumin8 home screen. Congratulations, you are ready to play with this initial version of MindAptiv’s first product!